The Africa Centre for Open Governance (AfriCOG) is an independent, non-profit making organisation with a mandate to provide cutting edge research on governance and public ethics issues and, monitor governance fundamentals in both the government and the private sector. AfriCOG’s governance and anti-corruption reform initiative are aimed at addressing the structural causes of Kenya’s governance crisis by a knowledgeable citizenry.
AfriCOG facilitates the Kenyans for Peace with Truth and Justice (KPTJ) initiative, which is a coalition of over 30 Kenyan and East African legal, human rights, and governance organizations, ordinary Kenyans and friends of Kenya, convened in the immediate aftermath of 2007’s presidential election debacle. The primary aim of the KPTJ Coalition is the achievement of truth, justice and accountability for the failed elections of 2007 and the violence that followed, and the institution of credible transitional justice and political and constitutional reform as a means to a just, sustainable peace. KPTJ also maintains its focus on the impact of political violence and the necessary accountability processes beyond the 2007 elections.
AfriCOG seeks to recruit a motivated, energetic professional to lead the development and coordination of KPTJ Programmes.
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
Effectively and independently manage the implementation of research, advocacy and mobilisation activities and work plans whilst ensuring compliance with the budgetary provisions. Provide efficient overall coordination for the KPTJ and direction for the secretariat. Manage partner relations and promote growth, impact and influence of the network.
Job Title: Project Coordinator- KPTJ
Department: Kenyans for Peace with Truth and Justice (KPTJ)
Contract Period: Initially, six months renewable based on performance and availability of funds and subject to 3 months probation period.
- Direct reporting to the Executive Director
- Close working relationship with Senior Programme Adviser
- Working relationship with task force of leading organisations of the initiative
- Working relationship with the Executive Director, AfriCOG programme staff, consultants, finance and administration, associates and service providers
Specific responsibilities of this position include;
- To develop and nurture strategic partnerships and coordinate the initiative effectively to achieve results and bring about change;
- To develop a programme approach, work plans and budgets to achieve KPTJ objectives;
- To lead planning, monitoring, and information dissemination of KPTJ’s work;
- To mobilise resources and develop funding proposals in consultation with Programme Advisor- KPTJ, Head of Programmes and the Executive Director;
- To liaise with and manage consultants engaged on all KPTJ programmes, prepare research ToRs and follow up on timely and effective implementation of all research and advocacy activities
- To collect data from partner organizations for monitoring purposes, maintain such data in a database, document lessons learned, and use them to strengthen programme effectiveness.
- To produce timely and accurate programme reports, statements, advocacy and position papers, submissions, presentations, communications materials;
- To handle other administrative tasks as needed including supervision, planning and organising events and workshops and procurement of goods and services for KPTJ programmes
- To network effectively and represent AfriCOG/ KPTJ in relevant meetings, conferences seminars etc as may be necessary
- A Master’s degree in social sciences, law or similar from a recognized university
- Strong administrative, communication and social skills
- Solid writing and meticulous editing skills
- Strong budget management, monitoring and reporting skills
- Strong planning, organisational and project management skills
- At least 4 years experience in a similar position in an NGO context
- Exposure to and genuine interest in the civil society sector
- Experience in partnership-building, high-level advocacy and networking, particularly in an area of focus for KPTJ, e.g. international criminal justice, electoral management, governance, human rights or similar.
Please send the following documents to Admin@africog.org
- Cover Letter indicating your current and expected pay
- Curriculum vitae with three referees
- List of your last three employers with contact details
Deadline for applications: November 15 2015